CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday 27 January 2007

There She Blows



My week off from work has come and just about gone. I spent most of my week running between Doctors appointments. As predicted I have to go in for a "procedure" this Thursday, can you guess what it is? My cartoon is a hint. Yes, that's right I have to have a Gastroscope to look into the stomach and joy of joy's - a Colonoscopy into the "you know where" or as my father eloquently puts in "Up the Khyber Pass". OK, the good thing is I will be asleep for it so I wont have to suffer the humiliation and hey I'll lose a few kilos with the preparation I have to follow pre procedure. The bad thing is I've had the bowel prep before and it is bloody horrible, the crap you have to drink to help "cleanse" the bowels is like a nuclear bomb !!!!! lol

One last toilet funny before I change the topic

On a more serious note, as most of you know, my brother was killed in a workplace accident last July. The investigation into his accident has been completed and I took my parents to the Coroners Court to view the report. Basically in a nutshell the accident was caused by the lack of basic safety procedures and training. Both the company and the manufacturers of the machinery have been charged(by the Govt. industrial relations dept) and depending on how they plea is how long it will be dragged through the courts. I was particularly interested in reading the interviews from co-workers, being the pragmatist that I am, I wanted to know what happened in every detail. One thing that stuck out for me, not one person on that site knew how to do basic CPR. Gavin was found pinned in a machine, nobody knew for how long, the range is between 3 - 15 mins, he was found unconscious and not breathing. The first guy to find him DIDN'T start CPR.God knows how long it took them to start but when they did they were asking the operator how to do it. The transcript stated they told the operator his stomach was swelling, it was swelling because they were blowing air into his stomach and not his lungs. 3 days later we turned off his life support because his brain was irreversibly damaged from lack of oxygen. Who knows if they had known what they were doing he may or may not be here with us today, but at least he would have had a chance.
A chance is better than nothing.

6 comments:

Spider63 said...

You and I must be on the same wavelength! I had one this week too! What a par-tay!

Wanna_B_slim said...

Ohhh I hope all goes well for you at the DR...
Work place 'accidents' are wrong...
That situation sounds terrible..
I feel for you...

CactusFreek said...

What a big balls up at your brothers work! I'm glad someone was charged over that. That shouldn't have happened in this day of severe OH&S laws! I'm annoyed at that now, and i don't even know you!

celtic_girl said...

Spider63,Some party hey! rofl

Wanna, Thanks for your thoughts

Cactus,No it shouldn't happen ion this day & age

White Rose Boy said...

Sorry to hear about your brother it is scandalous how many companies don't have trained medical staff. I hope you can get all the facts you need and are able to put this tradgedy behind you.

Hope you are able to clear up the "Khyber" probs.

Rebecca said...

I am sorry to read the detail and lack of safety was the cause of death. I am sorry for your family.

My aunt here had a routine colonoscopy (she made it through the drinks) and was in the first stages of colon cancer. She was lucky, had surgery and is fine now. She was 75 when they discovered it. So by all means know that with each swallow, you are one step closer to safety.....